Chinese Salt and Pepper Shrimp is an addictive and delicious dish in Cantonese cuisine. Light, airy and non-greasy crispy prawns make this a perfect keto snack in Chinese restaurants. Make this air fryer appetizer at home in just 15 minutes!
- Wild Blue Shrimp
- Corn Starch, Rice Flour or Potato Flour
- Garlic cloves minced
- Ground White Pepper
- Green Peppers or Red Bell Peppers
- Jalapeno Peppers or Red Chili
- Shallots or Yellow Onion
- Peppers Flakes
- Sea Salt
- Green Spring Onions for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Vegetable Oil or Cooking Spray for air frying
- If using frozen shrimp, defrost shrimp overnight in the refrigerator. Wash the shrimp under cold water and pat dry with a kitchen paper towel.
- Season shrimp or prawns with ground white pepper and salt.
- Prepare salt and pepper mixture by dicing jalapeno peppers, red bell peppers, shallots or onions and mince garlic cloves.
- Add diced vegetables and aromatics, salt and ground white pepper to a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Use air fryer parchment paper and line the bottom of the air fryer basket for easy clean-ups.
- In a large bowl, add shrimp and corn starch, rice flour or potato starch and toss until evenly coated.
- Place shrimp in the air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray.
- Cook for 7 minutes at 350F. Flipping halfway.
- Carefully transfer prawns from the air fryer. Add cooked prawns and salt and pepper mixture to a large bowl. Toss and mix well.
- Return the seasoned shrimp to the air fryer and cook at 390F for a further minute or until the crispy prawns are golden brown.
- Work in small batches ex. half of the shrimp and repeat the process if you are making a large double batch!
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe created and used with permission by Nancy Wu at www.nomss.com