- Makes 4 servings
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
BBQ Spiced Sablefish
- 4 portions (6oz/each) sablefish, skin on
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) BBQ spice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of watercress (optional)
- 2 whole roasted red peppers from a good-quality jar
- 1/3 cup (45g) Marcona almonds, roasted (or use regular whole, skin-off almonds)
- 1/4 cup (20g) parmesan cheese
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated
- 6 leaves of fresh mint
- 6 leaves of flat Italian parley
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon (8ml) sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) mild smoked paprika
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Pat the sablefish portions dry with paper towel. Generously season the flesh side of each portion with the BBQ spice. A thin layer of BBQ spice should cover the fish. Let the portions sit at room temperature for one hour. It is important that the fish is tempered before it is baked in the oven.
In the meantime, prepare the romesco sauce. Put all of the ingredients into a small food processor (robot-coupe) and blitz for 30 seconds or until all the ingredients are blended. When blended, it will look like a red pesto sauce.
Next, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread the olive oil on the parchment paper. Place the portions of fish on the tray flesh side down (skin side up). Bake the fish for 10 to 12 minutes depending on thickness. When the fish is cooked you should be able to remove the skin from the fish by pulling one corner of it.
Put a generous spoonful of romesco on a plate and place a sablefish portion on a small bed of watercress. Serve with a quarter lemon wedge to squeeze over the fish.